With 2016 in it’s last gloriously sunny day, we can often get too carried away looking back at the year that has been. But there is nothing more exciting than looking at the year to come and start planning that social calendar.
2017 certainly promises nothing but fun and excitement in Rotorua. Here is our pick of what events are hot for 2017.
29th January – Summer Seafood Festival
- Summer, seafood, fine NZ wine and Dave Dobbyn. It is the story of a classic kiwi summer day out. Throw in the setting on the Village Green on the edge of Lake Rotorua and it is your perfect way to observe Auckland (and Nelson) Anniversary weekend. Click here to buy your tickets.
11th March – Lakeside Concert
- This FREE outdoor concert highlights the best Maori, classical and contemporary music from the Lakeside Village Green. With the likes of Jason Kerrison and the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra it will be a hit for all ages. While it is free, you can also buy tickets to reserve the best viewing seats here.
2nd April – Crankworx Slopestyle
- Crankworx just happens to be the biggest mountain biking event in the world, and Rotorua happens to be the first stop on the Crankworx World Tour. While there are 9 action pack days, the Slopestyle event is one not to be missed on the 2nd of April… these guys will seriously blow your mind with what is possible on a mountain bike. Grab your tickets here.
8th April – Xterra Rotorua Festival
- A range of events set in and around the Blue Lake and Whakarewarewa Forest. This event has grow into the biggest Xterra event in the world because of it’s beautiful setting and superb organisation, culminating in an unmatched atmosphere for competitors and spectators alike. Check out the entry process here.
Labour Weekend – Okere Falls Beer Fest
- ‘Beer is proof that god loves us and what’s us to be happy’. Benjamin Franklin. Schweinshaxe (roosted hock), Beer, Festival Bands all set in the beautiful beer garden of the Okere Falls Store– it only gets better in Germany. This events continues to get more popular by the year and is the perfect way to spend Labour Weekend.
18/19th November – Single Speed World Champs
- Take an international mountain biking event, with top pro riders and Olympians , throw in costumes, tattoos for winners and on course alcoholic beverages and you have the most colourful event in Rotorua in 2017. You know it is going to be a hoot, when the final part of the bidding process was an impromptu swimming race which swung the event back to Rotorua for 2017. Read the article here.